Friday, May 10, 2013

Massacre at Crest Ave

It was in the still wee hours that I heard my husband call out, "Hon, we have an ant invasion going on in here."

I think I snorted something and shifted deeper into my pillow.  An ant invasion is not enough to bring me up out of the sheets.  Maybe if they were crawling on me....that gives me the willies.  But knowing they were somewhere in the house...well as long as they aren't in my bed, I'm okay.  If he had said MICE!  I would have scurried up screaming.  You can't trust mice to stay where they are.

I got up about 3 hours after he left for work.  I got my coffee, started dressing and went to the bathroom to wash up.

Along one wall, I saw the "ant invasion" he spoke of.  Nasty.  I swear it was hundreds of ants.  Ants going nuts, crawling in weird circles on the wall. It maybe have been funny if I wasn't so busy shuddering at the sight.

Others were in crazy lines leading from the floor to... my medicine cabinet?

I opened the door to seee what drew them into a medicine cabinet.

They were swarming over an empty bottle of my "big guns" cough syrup.  The kind with hydrocodone and high powered anti-histamines...that would explain the crazy ant circles on the wall.  They were gorked out of their pinhead brains.  There was just enough syrup around the bottom of the cap for them to feast upon.

So I retrieved my heavy hitting ant poison.  I love this stuff.  It's gross for a while as ants find it and gorge on it.  They carry it back to the nest and share it with everyone else.  Usually within 3 days, my yearly ant invasion is over.  They are no more.



I went back a couple hours later and shuddered again.  I shook as the momentary willies crept over me.  They had found the poison and the nastiness was growing.  I kind of feel bad.  I mean we've heard the children's stories about the ant and the grasshopper.  I wouldn't bother them if they had stayed OUTSIDE.  Unknown to the industrious little critters they were gorging to their death.


Ack.  I get the willies just looking at it.

They are still gorging.  If you think about it for a minute, you can draw your own allegory here about mankind gorging on sin, gorging to our own death.  I threw that in for free because I really just posted this to report the awesomeness of this ant poison.  And if you use it the way they show it on the box?  You get a sticky mess spilling out on your floors, windows or counters.  Put the label side down and do yourself that smal favor.

Meanwhile I continue feeding the ants to death.







8 comments:

  1. I'm married to a pest control guy. He finds those invasions fascinating! We have one on the kitchen windowsill every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it like being married to the car repair fellow where everyone's car runs but yours? I imagine he dislikes my little Terro ant killers. Years ago we bought a home that turned out to be flea infested. We had to call out the Pest Control people 4 times before we could move in. So maybe that balances out me killing my own ants?

      Delete
  2. Lol(and shudder!) I once moved my portable dishwasher to find a black wall of ants...it still makes me cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Rosie....this is HILL-ARIOUS! The mere thought of "gorked out" ants is enough to make me smile for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Lorrettey. Thank you for not pointing out that I misspelled my "massacre" and made it a Spanish word that I really couldn't figure out what it meant because the definitions were in Spanish. lol I fixed it. Gorked out ants were amusing...spinning circles on the wall...

      Delete
  4. drugs, massacre, frenzied circles...this could be a movie script!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lani, It probably is. There's a horror movie out there somewhere with giant ants, I just know it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete