Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pink Ribbons ~ Naked Beavers!

Pink Ribbons is a feature series I have started that is posted every Thursday.  I am a Pink Ribbon Warrior, having gone through the chemo, surgery, radiation, the year of waiting and recently stage 2 reconstruction...which I find is really the first of many little surgeries.  I am at a place in my life where I am willing to open my journal from that time and share with you my anger, fears, challenges and pain of finding out you have cancer.   These are not current events.  This is me sharing with you from the other side of breast cancer.



Ok. Now this may fall under the catagory of TMI. But I have taken on the task of educating you about breast cancer and treatments. So think about the title and decide if you want to continue.




So early in the morning I had wakened and felt the need to scratch the pubes. And I wound up with a handful of hair. :eek So I got up (had to pee anyway) to investigate. I found I could grab pubic hair and it pulled right out. It did not hurt, just a tugging sensation. When I stood it looked a spider drowned in the toilet.

Now the funny thing is all the hair is from one side. ***snort**giggle *** So I have a half bald beaver! 

Here it is the end of summer and I finally have an easy bikini cut!  Apparently the hair on my head is not the first to go!  I knew that ALL hair was susceptible but thought it would happen all at the same time.  But apparently public hair goes first.

I keep swiping at my arms to see if that hair is ready to bail. Its still pretty tight. Chin whiskers are hanging pretty tough. Legs seem a little less prickly and the hair is definitely thinning. Bring on those chemo caps! 

Yesterday evening we went out driving and I wasn't wearing a cap. The windows were down and blowing my hair and you could see strands of my hair flying like dog hair. KJ commended that I was shedding. I see the Wig guy tomorrow evening and I suspect I will be balding by the weekend. So I'm clippering it down on Wed. I'm saving tufts of hair to tape to my head. ACS said many women are self conscious wearing caps that there's no tufts of hair hanging in front of the ears.



You can actually BUY tufts to tape in front of your ears. So I decided before the hair abandons ship I will cut my own tufts and put them to work!  For more information on hat hair go to 
http://www.tlcdirect.org/Hats-with-Hair-for-Cancer-and-Chemotherapy-Patients-Hair-for-Hats-American-Cancer-Society-TLC-Direct

TMI - within 48 hours, it was like I'd had a Brazilian bikini wax.  Not even stubble.  THIS I could get used to...hairless with no hair removal pain...scratch that.  Chemo is painful.

I shaved my legs last week and I still don't have stubble.  Now waiting on the head I guess.  This is day 17...

No comments:

Post a Comment