Friday, March 9, 2012

"Tenses" Teases



Today's assignment is intimidating.  We were told how important it is to keep our tenses in alignment.  If it's the present we speak in, we need to make sure we use all present tense.  Does that make sense to you?   I am certain that it could be made more complicated.  I was directed to a website that might have explained it in detail.  However, I can't read Greek either.  

Well I think I understand the concept in theory.  In the practical application it was quite frustrating.  The assignment is to write a statement, basically the same sentence but in the three tenses.  Present, Past and Future....Can't help but think of a 3 stone ring.  So my visual clue will be the ring and the 3 stones.  The frustrating part was the realization that when your thought takes hold and your fingers stop to fly...I realized that catching the tense wasn't natural to me.  I wondered if this was more of a proof reading exercise.  But I put my best effort into it.

Present: I sit in front of the computer screen, its glow irritating my eyes.  My writing instructor has assigned a task that I am carefully trying to complete.  I rub my eyes and reach for a cookie at my side.  (I need to break this habit.)  Absentminded, I slowly chew while waiting for some kind of illumination to appear.  A noise from the yard draws my attention, as I watch the dog play in the yard, I decide.  I decide that sometimes it is hard to string words together in a way that encourages anyone to take the time to read what I have to say.

Past:  I sat in front of the computer screen; its glow irritated my eyes.  My writing instructor had assigned a task that I carefully tried to complete.  I rubbed my eyes and reached for the cookie at my side. (I needed to break that habit.)   Absent minded, I slowly chewed and waited for some kind of illumination to appear.  A noise from the yard drew my attention. I watched the dog play in the yard and decided.  I decided that sometimes it is hard to string words together in a way that encouraged anyone to take the time to read what I had to say.

Future:  I will sit in front of the computer screen again.  Its glow will irritate my eyes.  My writing instructor will assign yet another task that will carefully try to complete.  Again, I will rub my eyes and reach for the cookie at my side. (I will need to break that habit.) and I will decide.  Absentminded, I will slowly chew and wait for some kind of illumination to appear.  A noise from the yard will draw my attention,  I will watch the dog play in the yard and then decide.  I will decide that sometimes it is hard to string words together in a way that will encourage anyone to take the time to read what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment